Here are all the sessions, including the pre-planned ones, from our 10th annual unconference on the future of news.
This year, we used only three rooms, which gave us completely full rooms (including standing-room only for several), and made the first time slot feature only pre-planned sessions.
10:00 – 10:50 AM
- Room 04 (lower level): Tips and Tricks on News Memberships by Ariella Cohen, PlanPhilly at WHYY and Danya Henninger, Billy Penn; Pete Woodall, Hidden City and PhillyCAM
- Room 302: JSON-LD And You: A Guide to Structured Metadata for Journalism with Aram Zucker-Scharff, Washington Post
- Room 304: Leading a Distributed (Newsroom) Team by Christopher Grant of Vox Media
11:00 – 11:50 AM
- Lessons from Broke in Philly: The benefits and challenges of mass city-wide collaboration among local media outlets with Kerith Gabriel of Philly Weekly, Danya Henninger of Billy Penn, Martin Pratt of WURD digital, Emma Restrepo of the Para Ti Mujer radio program and Ariella Cohen of PlanPhilly
- Cypher Philly (The Cypher Philly Initiative is an open source web application project designed to empower citizens, journalists, data scientists, coders and creatives with the ability to harness open data for civic good. @PhillyGraphDB
- RSS The Future of News?
12:00 – 1:00 PM: Lunchtime Keynote
1:10 – 2:00 PM
- How to Start: News Entrepreneurship 101 by Brian James Kirk, Technical.ly cofounder and Michelle Freeman, CEO Witty Gritty, Publisher, CityWide Stories
- Location Aware News: A Lenfest Labs Mobile App Demo and Discussion by Andre Natta of Lenfest Institute
- Perils of Positivity Movement: What does it mean for us if people are turning off and away from the news?
2:10 – 3:00 PM
- Self-Care & Journalism: A Reprise (let’s talk feelings and management) with Jess Estepa, USA Today
- Freedom of the Press in Venezuela: What’s happening and what you can do with Roberto Torres, Technical.ly
- A Model Idea: Designing a subscription strategy for local news around information that isn’t easy to get. Amy Jo Brown, War Street Media
3:10 – 4:00 PM
- Putting the Noise in the Noise: Using Audio to engage and expand online audience by John Ensslin @bergenmatters
- Get Your Mojo On! Tips on successful mobile journalism (what’s in your bag?) with Bobbi Booker
- Mapping news and FAKE NEWS using apps with Fred Behnke, MapSocial
4:00-6:00 PM: Closing Remarks and Happy Hour at the Draught Horse