Even though many of our attendees come back each year, we know the “unconference” format always takes some refreshers and explainers for first-timers. So to help you better know what to expect this Saturday, we’ve pre-planned five sessions.
Like other conferences, there will be several rooms with sessions happening at the same time, allowing you to choose your preference. The trick is that beginning at 9:30am, you, the attendees, will choose and lead the topics. It’s aimed at being inclusive and community driven. Consider these pre-planned sessions just as an example for topics.
The doors open at 9am on Saturday (look at the detailed agenda here) — grab coffee, something to eat and catch up with other attendees and join us for the day. The fifth and final set of sessions will close at 4pm and by 4:30pm, we’ll be at happy hour, which will be done at 6:30pm.
Here are our five pre-planned sessions: (please note that other sessions will be chosen day-of)
- 10am-10:50am: Solutions Journalism in Practice (Jean Friedman-Rudovsky, Vice Contributing Editor and Solutions Journalism coordinator)
- 10am-10:50am: #ONA16 Playback (Melissa DiPento, Temple University; Anna Orso, Billy Penn; Stephanie Arnold, Philly.com, Dominique Johnson, freelance)
- 11am-11:50am: What’s happening to objectivity in 2016? (Daniel Victor and Michael Gold, New York Times)
- 12pm-1pm: Keynote Roundtable
- 1:10pm-2pm: New Engagement Strategies: Snapchat Discover (Dave Cole, Wall Street Journal)
- 2:10pm-3pm: No Pre-Planned Sessions
- 3:10pm-4pm: Tips for Getting Open Records (Austin Nolen, Philly Declaration)
- 4pm-4:15pm: Closing Remarks
- 4:30pm: Happy Hour!